Sunday 31 May 2015

Weeks 1 & 2: UWF and USFSP


Where do I even begin? This trip has already been absolutely amazing to say the least! I cannot believe it has already been two weeks. Every day I feel like I am exposed to so many new things, most of which I have never even heard of before. I am so thankful for this class! We started at my home base at the University of West Florida in Pensacola and have since gone through USFSP and today we arrived at FGCU!! Even during the first full week at UWF, I learned so much every single day - probably more than I have learned in many of my traditional classes over a whole semester. It’s hard to choose what to write about because for me, everything was new and exciting and I could probably write an entire essay about just the first week.
At UWF, we focused our attention on working our way through the water systems of the area. Starting from streams and working our way to the gulf, we compared and contrasted each water system and discovered how human influences impact each one. I loved being able to tie in my love for learning about the environment and how humans impact it with learning all of this new information about marine environments! Starting with the rivers and streams, I was shocked to see just how heavily development has affected these areas. Ferry Pass Creek had pretty much no biodiversity left and was so overrun by sedimentation that there was hardly any creek to see! It was really sad to see that… I wish that our school would not develop on these areas. It hurts me to see so much life being destroyed, but I know that my new found knowledge is going to take me on the path towards reversing this damage. Seeing how extreme the impact was is pushing me even harder to keep learning so that I can make a difference.
On a brighter note, we were broken into small groups at the beginning of the week and each group was assigned a different subject area that we were to make a presentation about on the last day. The subject areas included stream ecology, sea turtles, seagrasses and more.  I worked with Emily, and our project was on bacteria production. At first, I was not that excited to work with bacteria, but since all of the topics were new to me I was okay with taking any of them! Plus, Emily made me excited about it by telling me how cool it was going to be to work with Dr. Jeffrey.
It turns out bacteria is much more interesting than I anticipated and working with Dr. Jeffrey was definitely awesome. He really knows how to explain things in a way that is both very interesting and easy to understand, even if the subject does not at first seem interesting or easy to understand. To acquire the data for our presentation, we collected water samples at each site we visited, including four sites going down Perdido Bay, one on the Gulf of Mexico, and one on the sound. We treated these samples on site, and brought them back to the lab on Friday to complete treating them and to analyze them. Along the way, I was exposed to several different lab techniques that I had never seen before. My favorite was treating the bacteria samples with a blue dye and looking at them under a microscope hooked up to a computer software that counted the number of bacteria on each prepared slide to compare the bacteria levels at each site that we visited. It was really interesting to be able to work with that equipment and to be able to work with Dr. Jeffrey, who was incredibly knowledgeable about this subject. He made sure that we really appreciated the importance of bacteria - without it we would be up to our eyeballs in decaying matter!! I was happy to be able to share these techniques and knowledge with the class during our presentation.



Although I had a blast at UWF, I was super excited to travel somewhere new! Our next stop was the University of South Florida in St. Petersburg. This city was beautiful and the campus was amazing! We did a good portion of our studying indoors, but that did not mean that there was a lack of hands on experiences! I was filling my brain up with so much new material every day and it has been making me so happy and excited to continue on! The most exciting part of the trip was definitely going on the R/V Weatherbird for a 14 hour day! I have never been on a research vessel before so this is an experience I will certainly never forget. We got to experience so many different sampling techniques and we were exposed to so much biodiversity that I did not fully appreciate until that day. Pulling up the dredges and the Otter Trawl was absolutely incredible. We saw all sorts of fascinating marine life like crabs and starfish and squids and so many different species of fish! Identifying these creatures was no easy task, but we worked as a team and got the job done. I feel like a whole new person already with all of these experiences under my belt! I guess I never really thought about how truly diverse the marine life is in the Gulf of Mexico. We must have caught at least 30 different species of critters in just a few net pulls and dredges. The only part that I did not enjoy about our trip on the Weatherbird was the fact that so many lives were lost in the process of collecting these samples. I do not like to see animals suffer or die, so that part was very hard for me and I don’t think that I will be doing much more of that. However, I am so glad that I got the experience and being able to see all of the diverse marine life and actually hold most of it in my hands was incredible. Another amazing part about being on the Weatherbird was when I was standing on one of the decks towards the front of the vessel and a whole family of spotted dolphins came by and swam alongside the vessel. I have never seen dolphins that close up; it was really a magical experience. I still cannot believe that happened! They are such beautiful and intelligent animals; I know that they came up to us just to show off and we were all freaking out! I think I may have even got a little teary eyed when I saw that one of the dolphins had her baby on her side and they were swimming in unison together.
In addition to being able to travel on the Weatherbird and visit those gorgeous dolphins, we also got to do some hands on lab work. We took a close look at some water samples that we gathered on the Weatherbird using two different types of plankton nets - the bongo nets and the neuston net. Seeing all of these tiny microscopic creatures that we swim with every time we go to the beach was fascinating. I almost couldn’t believe how much diversity can be found in just 5 mL of sea water! There was everything from copepods to tiny fish larvae to itty bitty eggs and other plankton. My least favorite lab work was looking at the vase sponge that we collected using the dredge.. That thing smelled AWFUL! It was probably the worst smell I have ever experienced and I will definitely never do that again! I love marine plants and animals but keep me far away from dying sea sponges! I am sure there is plenty of fascinating material to learn about sea sponges but if researching them involves that putrid smell every day, I will definitely opt out of that one and focus my attention on something else.

Over all, these past two weeks have been unbelievable. I have met so many amazing people and working alongside students that love marine life has been a blast!! Every day I learn so many new things that I think I’m gonna be a whole new person by the end of this journey! The professors that I have met so far have taught me so much - even beyond what we have been learning in the field. I feel so privileged to be able to work with them so closely and learn about how they got where they are today. Before this class, I was so unsure of what I wanted to do and I felt like I was stuck in a strange place in my life. I knew I wanted to make a positive impact on our planet, but I was nowhere near being sure of what exactly that impact was going to be. Seeing how all of the instructors and professionals that we have met got where they are today has really opened my eyes. I know that I just need to work hard and share my excitement for the environment and I am going to be able to do great things. I have met a lot of other people on this trip that I feel will do the same. It has been awesome to be able to share this experience with my classmates, who seem to be just as excited as I am to be on this trip! Being exposed to so many brilliant people has certainly relit the fire in my heart to work hard and make a difference! I cannot wait to keep meeting more people and experiencing new things. This is the best summer ever (and I promise I am not just saying that to get a good grade on my blog!)


No comments:

Post a Comment