Sunday 31 May 2015

UNF Coastal Work

This week at UNF was our toughest yet. After getting to our destination, we sat through an informative lecture on invasive species. We talked about our week and i had no idea what to expect during our days around Jacksonville and St. Augustine. It was so cool to learn about the watersheds that can be changed by the simplest variation in tide or weather, or human activity. After van rides through the coastal highways, it was cool to see the environment of a coquina beach, which became our groups favorite word for sure! Coquina coquina coquina. The workload for this part of the trip caught most of us by surprise. I learned a lot from Courtney and Kelly, and even got to enjoy fishinf with the both of them. I caught my first ever jack and three large trout while hanging out with Courtney at 4 in the morning. It wasn't all laid back though. For me, the 24 hour sampling was the hardest mentally and emotionally. Most of the cohort felt the effects of the long day and night and we didn't know how to handle it as a group. For most of the group, it was the first time we had done work that was so intense and demanding, although rewarding. My grouchiness was hard to control at times, but I have learned how I should handle those situations better. My group seined the slimy depths of the lake and river, and we couldn't have functioned without everyone's help. We made it through and were greeted by an amazing sunrise. I wouldn't say it was the best time of my life, but it was rewarding in ways that I hadn't thought of. Now that we are in the Keys, I hope the whole cohort can enjoy every second we have because it is beautiful and for some of us, it is our first up close and personal look at the environment. I'm ready to snorkel my face off!




No comments:

Post a Comment