Sunday 3 May 2015

A bit about me

My name is John Moorman and I am so excited to have the opportunity to take this course and learn more about what really happens in marine research. I was born and raised in Texas, and I always wanted to study marine biology but it seemed too impractical to actually go for it.

Fast forward a few or more years and I've found myself living in southwest Florida with nothing to tie me down, and I've realized that there's no proof we get more than one ride on this roller coaster, so we might as well make it as good as we can without knocking anyone else off the train. With this outlook I transferred to USFSP and it has been an incredibly fun and challenging experience so far!

I'm not sure where I want to specialize in a field as diverse as marine biology, but I think I want to end up focusing on one or more of three areas: researching and helping to share with non-scientists the real facts on what is happening in our water systems and with the environment as a whole, finding ways to help aquatic life cope with the changes occurring in the environment, or helping develop increasingly sustainable and humane techniques for farming seafood.

I can hardly believe that as an undergrad I am going to have the kind of opportunity this course provides to get a glimpse into the real world of marine science, and I look forward to finding those niches I am best suited for and enjoy the most. To the rest of my cohort, I look forward to meeting all of you and sharing all the awesome stuff we're going to learn together!

No comments:

Post a Comment