Sunday 31 May 2015

Week 2: USFSP



What an awesome time at USFSP! This week’s focus was the open ocean and biodiversity. We got to spend a full day on The Weatherbird research vessel. I really enjoyed being on the boat. It was a completely different experience for me. My favorite part was doing the otter trawl and the dredge. It was so exciting waiting to see what was going to come up. Sorting through all of the different organisms was really fun. It was great to see all of the different ones that we got. It was also very interesting to see the difference in species between the dredge and the trawl and the different locations. Trying to identify each organism was very challenging. But it was very rewarding once we finally got it. On our way out to the first site we saw 4 spotted dolphins that swam with the ship. It was so cool. They played in the waves and swam with us for quite a while. Some of the group saw a hammerhead shark swimming next to the ship. But unfortunately I didn’t get to see it L While we were headed to our second site we got to see an amazing sunset over the Gulf of Mexico. It was absolutely breathtaking and relaxing. Back in the lab we spent our time dissecting and analyzing our data. We had to cut open a vase sponge and it was very stinky! We stunk up the entire floor of the building. I definitely don’t think I plan to work with sponges out of the water! I was pretty amazed that we caught some of the things that we did. 

I learned a lot about the ocean open. It definitely made me look at my career options in a different way. I had a great time on the ship and I don’t get seasick so data collection could definitely be an option for me! The USFSP campus was absolutely gorgeous and right on the water. I really enjoyed spending my breaks out by the marina. There are still a couple weeks left and I can’t wait to see what is coming our way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment