Sunday 31 May 2015

Week 2 - USFSP

Wow, I really cannot believe how quickly this class is flying by. I wish that I could slow down time and stay on this trip forever. How am I supposed to go back to living a normal life after this is over?? I'm just not going to think about it and pretend that it won't end.

We are now at the start of week 3... basically the midway point. Our last week took place in St. Petersburg, a city that I had never been to before. Not only was the campus absolutely beautiful, but the city was so interesting to me. However, the most interesting part was obviously all the amazing activities we took part in this week.

First of all, the Weatherbird. What an experience. Even though I spent a few of my hours laying on the concrete, drifting in and out of consciousness, all while using a lifejacket as a pillow trying to fight off the dreaded sea sickness, it was still one of the best experiences of my life. I could write a book on all the reasons why I loved the research vessel. My chapters would probably follow this outline:
  1. The food - Thomas, you are awesome
  2. Guideline to every possible way to prevent sea sickness
  3. Methods used for sampling and water quality - includes CTD, dredge, otter trawl
  4. Sea animals and all it's inhabitants - must include dolphins that ride the waves with the boat
  5. Crew life - it truly is like a family because everyone has to watch each others back
  6. The sunset out on sea - yes, this gets it's own chapter, trust me
  7. How you will never want to dock because that means it's over
The Weatherbird is now the first research vessel I ever went on, but hopefully not my last. As soon as I find a cure to my motion sickness, I will be on one again ASAP. Clearly, this was the highlight of the week, but I loved absolutely everything else that we did (except the scent of the sponge). Looking at the plankton we collected under the microscope really was eye-opening because I had no idea how diverse the micro-world actually is. 

However, as classroom activities goes, my favorite part was forming a question relating to our research trip and using the data that we collected to try and answer that question the best we could in 2 hours. Although the question my partner and I chose did not work out at all because of several data errors, I really enjoyed just brainstorming on the whiteboard and really working like a scientist. I probably learned the most from this activity because I had several issues that I had to address and work through, which is a crucial skill to have in this major. 

I love every minute of this class and I cannot wait for this next week at FGCU. I have only been here for a few hours, but it already exceeded my expectations with the water front bedrooms and relaxed atmosphere. 

P.S. Dr. Judkins, you're great and inspiring and I am really glad we got to work with you. 





No comments:

Post a Comment