Sunday 24 May 2015

First week at U Dub!

This first week at UWF was so much fun! The whole week was packed with water quality testing, seining, snorkeling and some lectures. Even though I'm a student at UWF, I feel like I got to see Pensacola with new lenses. Since this is a field studies class, we actually collected data at different sites in the Pensacola and were able to compare the results ourselves. One of our assignments this week was to give a final group presentation and my group did water quality. I loved being able to see the differences in salinity and dissolved oxygen among the sites and hypothesize why they are higher or lower in those places.
This is Jessica and I using a phytoplankton net to get a phytoplankton sample that would later be analyzed using a microscope in the lab.

We did so many other cool things this week too like measure ambient light around sea turtle nests and learn about stream ecology. This week was a marine biology student's dream. Also to be around my professors and get to know them on a more personal level was awesome. If this is how this 5 week course started, I can not wait to go to all of the other sites. 


No comments:

Post a Comment