Sunday 21 June 2015

Week 5: UNF



The last week of our marine biology experience was spent at UNF. We spent the week doing a number of different things. On Monday, we went down the St. John’s River and studied different parts of the estuary. We were able to see how much the water changed depending on our distance from the ocean. Tuesday and Wednesday were spent completing a 24-hour study of Guana Lake and River. Each hour, water quality was measured and recorded and every third hour, a seine net was pulled to collect samples of the aquatic life present. Thursday was spent traveling to different beach sites to discuss the differences between them and the way tide, natural events, and human interactions affect them. All data from the 24-hour study was analyzed on Friday. It was a sad day when we had to wrap up and say all our goodbyes. The past five and a half weeks have been so incredible, and it has been just such an amazing experience. I have learned so much and met some amazing people. It was great having my eyes opened to many different fields in marine biology. I now have a better understanding of what I want to do with my degree and what I want to specialize in. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Marine biology is such an exciting field and I can’t wait to see what other adventures lie ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment