Monday 15 June 2015

Galeocerdo cuvier (Tiger Shark)

I chose the tiger shark because it was the one shark our group caught when we went shark fishing Wednesday with Dr. Rumbold. I had never seen a tiger shark before, and in-fact I had never seen any shark in person before our week at the Keys. The tiger shark we caught was a juvenile and measured at just over two meters. Mature tiger sharks can grow to 10 to 14 feet in length and weigh up to 1400 lbs. They, along with great whites, have the reputation of attacking humans. They are known to eat almost anything. We learned that because tiger sharks grow so fast, their mercury levels are not as high compared to other sharks because the mercury becomes diluted. It was a great experience to help pull in the tiger shark, and it was unfortunate that Dr. Rumbold and I were not able to tag it successfully.

And I'd like to say final thank you to all the professors from FGCU who helped out this week. They were all awesome. It's sad that I never had the oppertunity to have any of them for class (except Dr. Douglass).  I actually thought FGCU would be my least favorite week because I have been going to school there for 3 years, and I figured I knew everything that we would be learning. But, I was pleasantly surprised at how much new information I learned about the area. It ended up being one of my favorite weeks of the class. A big thanks to Dr. Douglass, because without him I wouldn't have known about the FIO course in the first place!

No comments:

Post a Comment