Sunday 14 June 2015

Florida Spiny Lobster

 
Panulirus argus, or Florida Spiny Lobster, is a decapod crustacean that inhabits shallower waters of the southern portion of the Florida peninsula. The eggs are carried by the female and hatch into phyllosoma larvae which later settle down in a nursery habitat until they become adults. These creatures prefer to live under a covering once full grown and molt several times before reaching full size. Males and females can be distinguished, once they reach a reproductive age, by the presence of legs that are "hairy" and can hold eggs or legs with a small thumb-like structure used to grasp females during mating. These lobsters are most known for their commercial value and lobster diving seasons in the Keys. I chose this organism because this was the first time I have ever seen a lobster not in a grocery store tank. I have heard numerous stories from my boyfriend about lobster diving and was incredibly excited to see them. These lobsters were my favorite part of the visit to the Keys. I went lobster searching every time we snorkeled. I feel that lobster season should have more limitations on them, not fishing them all year besides for when they are reproductively active. I feel this should be adjusted because we are not the only organisms to consume lobster and with fishing them so often how can they reach their full potential. The resident female lobster at Keys Marine Lab is huge. It would be cool to get to see such large, graceful looking spiny lobsters in the wild as well.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment