Sunday 14 June 2015

Scarus guacamaia

This past week was an incredible experience for me because I have never actually seen a coral reef before in person, ever. My expectations, along with my mind, was blown out of the water because I couldn't ever truly fathom how beautiful it would be down below the water's surface. Right as I jumped in at the first site, my mask filled with water so I popped back up to empty it out, all prior to actually looking underwater. As I was adjusting my mask, my friend called out to me and told me that I needed to look underwater right that second. Quickly throwing my goggles back on, I stuck my face right in and felt my heart skip a beat as my eyes adjusted to all the different colors and lifeforms that were new to me. I felt a foreign happiness and tranquility being down there - like I was experiencing something that I have waited 19 years for. It is safe to say that I didn't ever want to leave.

The wildlife in the coral reefs was superb, with a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. However, the color is what stood out to me the most because I was amazed with the combinations and patterns some of the fish displayed. The rainbow parrotfish, Scarus guacamaia, caught my attention the quickest because of the extraordinary designs and neon coloration they embody. I had also noticed that they had distinct mouth shapes that would peck at the corals, just like a chicken would peck at the ground. After doing some research, I found out that their mouths are shaped this way because they peck out chunks of coral to extract algae that grows on it, using two jointed plates instead of teeth. Although the parrotfish don't actually digest the coral, they have teeth in their throats that grind it up and then excrete it after the algae is obtained.

Rainbow parrotfish are the largest parrotfish found in the Atlantic and can reach a size up to 1.2 meters. The species can be found generally in shallow reefs and mangroves, both of which are habitats that have been declining in the southern Atlantic due to human and environmental impacts, causing an almost threatened status. Mangroves are especially vital to the fish because it is the breeding site and home to the juveniles. As they grow, female rainbow parrotfish have the ability to change genders, a trait called being diandrous. This basically means that if a dominant male dies, the dominant female can transition her ovaries into testes. Another interesting ability they have is secreting an envelope of mucous cocoons over their eyes that allow them to sleep until the sun comes out. This species is clearly not only beautiful, but also express many evolved traits that aid to their survival.


Sites used: http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/fish/parrot-fish/, http://www.fishbase.org/summary/1155, http://eol.org/pages/5214/details, http://species-identification.org/species.php?species_group=caribbean_diving_guide&id=247

No comments:

Post a Comment