Sunday 21 June 2015




I cannot believe that this course is already over. These past 6 weeks have been nothing short of amazing and they have flown by. I wish I could go back and do it all again. I have learned so much about the marine science world and gained many valuable skills. From shark tagging to 24 hour tidal surveys we got to experience so much and I am so grateful for that. Each week was completely different and I value all that I have learned from the amazing Professors involved. I was also lucky enough to have been blessed with the most amazing cohort in the world. I love each and everyone of you and hope I get to work with you again in the future. Thank you for spending 24/7 with me for the past 6 weeks and creating these happy memories. You guys are my family and I am so lucky to have shared this experience with you "When I say Porites, you say Porites".

Harold (Haroldi)- You truly are the best scientist out of all of us. You are genuinely enthusiastic about learning and investigating your surroundings. You are always happy, calm and reasonable in every situation. I loved watching you watch birds and watching you dance. I am happy that you're stuck with me in classes until we graduate.

John- The very first person I met. You are full of knowledge and positivity, and I admire the way you ask the hard questions. I will never forget you singing coral opera or making seahorse noises. I know you'll be successful in life.

Sarah- You are amazing. I think it is so cool how passionate you are about cephalopods and you were always the first to go looking for something in weird places. You are passionate and loyal and I am glad to call you my friend.

Johnna- It was great getting to know you. You know exactly what you want to do with your career and you know how to go for it, which is a wonderful thing. You are a hard worker and always motivated to learn.

Brian- Thank you for being the dad of the group.You were always there to throw in a sarcastic comment or casually identify an unknown organism to its genus and species off the top of your head. You are so smart and I know you will easily find success in this field.

Natalie-There is so much I have to thank you for. Thanks for being my roommate everywhere we went, and for dealing with me for every car ride we had, which were always an adventure. You and your car have been through so much this trip and I am glad I could be there to laugh along. You are a genuine person with a great heart and I can't wait to hang out with you all the time. Save the turtles!

Jade- You are a darling. You are so sweet and were always there to support any of us. You impress me with the detailed knowledge you have. Thanks for being the best chef in the group and always going out of your way to reach out to everyone. I know you'll kill it with whatever you do and I hope you get to play with all of your sharks. 

Patrick- Patrice. You are amazing. I knew when we were struggling with identifying that Leather jacket fish on the first day that we would be friends. You always do what makes you happy and I admire that about you. I'm so glad we got to spend so much time together and I know that we'll see each other again soon. Have fun creating a career in the keys, we'll all meet you there. 

Michael -Where do I start. I did not expect us to become friends but that quickly changed. Thank you for always keeping me laughing and putting a smile on my face. I love your passion for your sea stars and jellies and I know one day you will successfully be Dr. Jelly Man. From poorly timed jokes at the GTMNERR to watching 7 hours of Pawn stars, I'll cherish every memory we shared. You are the coolest xylophone in all the sea and an even better friend. I have no doubt that we'll see each other again soon and I know our friendship is one for a lifetime (holoplankton).

Lisa- What would I have done without you. There is so much to say but I know I can't type it all. I am so glad that we bonded in the research van and laughed our way through everything. There is no one else I'd rather look stupid with than you. I know that this is not even close to the end of our friendship and that we'll be seeing each other all the time. We may not quite know what were doing with our lives but I know we'll be figuring it out together. I'm glad I got to experience porcupine fish, hydroids, bunk beds, and literally everything else with you. No one loves a crab like you. You are the best, love you!

Monica- You were the best TA anyone could have asked for. Thank you for being so sweet and kind every moment of every day. You are honestly amazing and we were so lucky to have you. Thank you for taking care of us, and imparting wisdom upon us. You are an angel. 

Overall, this course was the best experience I could have had. The knowledge and memories gained are worth every penny and more. I wish I could do it all again. Thank you to all the professors and FIO for this experience, I am so grateful. There is so much more I could say about everything and everyone but I'll stop here.


No comments:

Post a Comment