Monday 22 June 2015

Week Five Location: UNF Jacksonville



Our final week started with splash on Monday to say the least.  We began the week surveying the St. John’s River. It was there I had the unpleasant experience of using the Secchi Tube at our last station of the day. A Secchi Tube is similar to a Secchi Disk however, instead of lowering in into the water measuring the distance a person can empty the tube until they can see the disk at the bottom. This tube is used when there is a strong current within the water. 
It’s simple in concept but hard to implement due to the fact that the Secchi easily comes up to my chin which made it quite difficult to see the disk at the bottom. In order to see down the tube I tried to preach my foot on the edge of the boat. It worked for a short while until the river decided that it wanted me to go swimming that day.  Within moments of propping my foot up I had unfortunately gone overboard with a large splash. Luckily I had a life jacket and was able to climb back on the boat with little problem. I learned a valuable lesson that day I now know to make sure that I’m tall enough to use a piece of equipment with both feet on deck.  This by far was my favorite part of the week because its always nice to go swimming after a long hot day of work. I would suggest that you go to a pool of beach before falling out of a boat for safety reasons.

 Overall I felt that the week at Jacksonville was more enjoyable than some of the previous weeks. I have my friends Emily and Autumn to thank for that. Without them I easily would’ve gone crazy with loneliness. This class was not only a great opportunity to network with schools all across Florida it was also a great opportunity to make new lifelong friends.
 I look forward to being able to work with them on future projects as Emily would say “for science”.  In retrospect this class has been one of the greatest experiences I’ve ever had and has given me hope for the future. It is almost surreal being at home after this five week adventure I’ve had, but now I can focus on being the best Marine Biologist I can be. 

1 comment:

  1. Their manager rocks! Thanks to their great team, I'm so happy I choose this venue for my event! I had a great time at party halls in Boston MA and think the atmosphere is as good as it gets. I will be astonished if I ever find a negative review on these guys.

    ReplyDelete