Sunday 7 June 2015

A Week at FGCU


Identifying shells on Mound Key
     Sunday evening we settled into Vester's Marine Lab with a vibrant sunset falling behind the palm trees and a cookout prepared for us by the FGCU faculty. We were told the coming days would be much different from the previous weeks we had experienced. Certainly, it was true. Days full of marine field studies were combined anthropogenic and geological topics, broadening our perspective on research.
      Dr. Joanne Muller, a native Aussie, began Monday with a geology lesson. Gathering core samples with sediments from thousands of years ago was something I was not expecting to do on a marine field studies trip. However, I enjoyed it so much. I found that I could combine my knowledge of mollusks and gastropods with my new-found knowledge of sedimentation to further understand the history of the earth. Presently, I can't see myself entering a career centered on geology but obtaining new techniques such as this, is opening my eyes to the vast array of job opportunities that are available in the marine science fields.
      Tuesday arrived with a lesson taught by Dr. Locascio on local Native American history. Again, I enjoyed the diversity of topics we were covering. As a group we traveled out to Mound Key to investigate the food strategies of the Calusa people. News-press journalists followed along and interviewed the team about the research we were performing throughout the day. Not only was it honoring to simply be interviewed, but it was also uplifting to share the importance of our research to the locals throughout the Ft. Myers area. Much of what we collected were shellfish, and identifying gastropod and mollusk shells was much easier this week than during previous weeks. I'm definitely becoming more comfortable in the marine biology field.
      Wednesday encompassed what was expected to be shark research, although we unfortunately didn't catch any sharks.The excitement and thrills of analyzing an apex predator with Dr. Rumbold faded into Bonita Spring's cerulean blue waves as we simply enjoyed boating on such gorgeous waters. I would love to attempt shark research again. Learning of their mercury concentrations and trophic levels has prompted my desire to learn more about sharks and inform others of their vital necessity within the ocean.
      Thursday wrapped up the field days while observing seagrass beds and estuarine environments with Dr. Douglass. I really enjoyed the diversity of habitats that we explored and analyzed. As we traveled through the day, we began with a field site within the Imperial River and continued until we were in the middle of Estero Bay. I adore the many habitats Florida contains and the diversity of life that accompanies each unique environment. Each site were visited were completely unique from the others.
      As I reflect on this past week, I can simply say "I want to do it all over again." I am honored to work alongside such incredible researchers who posses immense passions for the ocean. I have learned so much through the professors and mentors who guide us every week. I have fallen more in love with the sea and more in love with marine biology. My love for the ocean only continues to grow deeper.
Coring in Estero Bay!

No comments:

Post a Comment