Sunday 7 June 2015

Vester Marine Field Station

Well Vester was probably the most fun of all the weeks so far. It will probably be the best week for me as well. I thought that UWF was an eventful week for me and using the week's experiences to make some forward moves in my schooling. I am still very interested in trying to help do whatever I can with Turtle This and Dr. Jeffrey (if he has need and room for  the help of course). I do know now that I want to feel out grad school for archaeology and anthropology. The work we did on Mound Key with Dr. Locascio was incredible! I don't think I could have used my interests in identifying species and shells in a better way. The best part of it all though was that these shells were left in mounds by the Calusa people. Historical sites, like Mound Key, are some of my favorite places to visit because of the stories they tell. If only those places could talk. The local paper even wrote an article about our sutdies on Mound Key. It was pretty awesome.  Below is a link for anyone interested in the article or more on what exactly we were doing. On top of being able to make some forward life moves I also got to experience mangrove estuaries. In Pensacola people only talk about how mangroves grow. I got a whole new experience of them. They are not all present just because one is present. They do grow together but not as formed as one would think from only viewing diagrams of them drawn for examples in class. Mangrove islands make the estuary environment from Vester so much more interesting than Pensacola, in my opinion. We also caught some sharks this week too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment