Saturday 20 June 2015

One Last Time

When Lisa forwarded me an email about a marine field studies course months before we started, I wasn't sure if I was actually going to go through with it. We started getting the details and writing our proposals, and I decided to do it. It was weird going into it being the youngest because I felt like I was going to be at a disadvantage. When I met everybody for the first time, I was amazed at how diverse our group was. Lisa and I decided to stick together and it wasn't until we started our first week that the cohort started to form and grow. I never thought that I would make lifelong bonds with these people. The educational aspect of the trip was so rewarding and so humbling. I know so much about corals, algae, fish, and habitats that we've seen and it helps form the bigger picture for me. I always knew I loved the ocean and now the finer details are exposed and I am even more excited for the path ahead of me. I got to snorkel around coral reefs and swim in waters lined with oysters and jellyfish. I got to get seasick on excursions into the Gulf and fish out trash in an estuary. I built connections with professors and doctors who have some of the most cool jobs on the planet.
It is hard to learn everything about your group as you travel, and everyone has taught me something about myself. The creatures I've seen and the laughs I've had are more valuable than any amount of money I could've spent on this class. If I could do it again I would.
Like I said before, everybody in our cohort has something about them that nobody else has that added to the group dynamic.

To Sarah:Your knowledge of certain things during lessons was impressive and I'm proud of your positive attitude during times of conflict. Good luck with everything.

To Brian: You're an amazing person who has been through more than most old people I know. Your knowledge of genus/species is dope and you taught me a lot about being a man whether you know it or not. Good luck in the future and you should be proud of everything you've done.

 To John: You are very smart and a genuine person and I liked that you were never afraid to ask a question that you were interested in. Good luck in the future and I hope you find your calling.

To Jade: You are super smart and I'm glad that we got to meet and bond after having a class together last semester. I like how passionate you are about sharks and thank you for being an awesome chef. I'm sure I'll see you around FGCU this year but good luck regardless.

To Harold: You are one of the coolest people I've met. You are well-spoken and I am envious of your ability to stay positive even when everyone else was down and out. Your passion for birds and sea life in general is humbling and I hope you and Sammi kill it this year at USF.

To Johnna: Your passion and knowledge are plentiful and I like that you know what direction you want to move in. Your ability to talk to professors and know what questions to ask are humbling and good luck in the future with everything.







To Natalie: You are one of the most fun people to be around and I knew that no matter what time it was I could do a stupid face to you and you'd do one back. Your bravery while snorkeling was amazing and it is clear how good of a friend you are. I hope I see you soon and good luck to you :-*

To Lisa: It's all thanks to you doll. Without you I would be even more lost than I already was. Actually without you I would've never been here in the first place. You are so smart it's amazing. We went on adventures and became closer than we already were. I will never forget the rope or Spongebob or Icee runs or our long drives through the middle of nowhere. Our random laugh sessions and butting heads to be right are unforgettable. I know I'll see you next semester but I just want to say thank you and I love you. I hope you end up in Hawaii and grad school and a turtle's mouth. #holo

To Pat: My bro. I'm proud how far you've come. Just like you I had no clue what I was doing but we learned along the way. Our bonding at night on the sofas or watching the games and trips to get food are going to be remembered forever. I hope you find out what you want to be and I know you'll be great. The way you do your own thing at all times is dope, and I can tell you tried to enjoy yourself no matter what. You're a cool dude and I hope life after graduation is good to you. Congrats and I'm proud homie.

To Sammi: My midget. No one makes me laugh like you did when we were all together. Your passion about animals was different because you cared about the activism also. I never thought we'd get close like we did but I kind of knew from the moment I found out you were from Maryland that we would have to start making stupid jokes together. You are so smart and it's impressive how much you read and retain. Your random fun facts and personality are addicting. I hope you find the biggest porcupine fish in the whole ocean and that cowfish school around you when you finally learn how to swim. Don't let anything stop you from seeing the world and being great because you're on your way. I hope we cross paths again, and I hope everything goes your way. I'm proud of you and I'll miss you dearly.
Last but not least, a special thank you and I love you to Monica. The most amazing person on the planet, she was so sweet and caring and genuine, and so smart and helpful. Lord knows the trip we would've had if she wasn't watching over us.

I'll see you all the reunion and until then, go see stuff! Thank you and I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment